Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Creative Spirituality

Spirituality:
I define spirituality as beliefs, activities, or any other engagement a person partakes in which offer comfort, inspiration, encouragement, and healing to one's self, as well providing the framework for an individuals belief system and sense of purpose. When I think of spirituality the words free, self, feel, and believe flash in my mind. When I consider a spiritual individual I think of someone who is confident, intelligent, free-spirited, open-minded, objective, and accepting. I suppose I associate spirituality with liberalism, in that spirituality is without restraint and order; it is feelings and beliefs that are established by the individual and do not fit within the confounds of any organization.

Spirituality and Religion:
I definitely think that spirituality and religion differ. I associate spirituality with liberal ideology, whereas I associate religion with a more conservative philosophy. When i think of religion i think of order, structure, strict, rigid, and ignorant. spirituality seems to me to be more artistic and free, whereas religion is cultural mythology that people have sought to understand and belief in in order to maintain stability and control of life. religions are groups that people turn to to be told what to understand versus spirituality where people turn within and seek understanding on their own accord.

Creativity:
I define creativity as producing thought, theory, product, etc. that step outside of the norm. To be creative is to create something that is original. Creativity relies on inspiration within a person that is hardly motivated by something which already exists; meaning, not relying on some existing framework to motivate thought or work but establish something new. Creativity requires thinking outside of the box.

Source of Creativity:
The source of creativity is the individual mind. Something can be inspired by something else and still be considered creative. the individual mind is capable of creating ideas and ultimately finished work, such as art, that has never been thought of before. The human mind is very complex and no one mind is the same as another; therefore, a person allowing one's self to be free and vulnerable will create something beautiful and original--that is creativity.

No comments: